28 June 2022
Goldsboro, N.C. — A 13-year-old has been charged in connection with the drive-by shooting of a 2-year-old boy from earlier this month in Goldsboro.
On June 16, 2-year-old Legend Armstrong was shot in the stomach as a passenger in the car as the vehicle he was in traveled down South Hugh Street, according to mother Juanisha Armstrong.
On Monday afternoon, the teenager turned himself in at the Goldsboro police department and was transported to Pitt Regional Juvenile Detention Center. During the police investigation, juvenile petitions were filed against the teen.
The teen’s name was not released. He was charged with:
- Four counts of attempted 1st degree murder
- One count of discharging firearm into occupied motor vehicle serious bodily injury
- Four counts of discharging firearm into occupied motor vehicle
The teen carries a June 30 court appearance. According to the police, the shooter was in a separate car and shot into the car Legend Armstrong was in.
Tyrik Deontre Joyner, 26, was also arrested from the ordeal the day after the shooting. Joyner was taken into custody following a traffic stop in the area of U.S. 117 S and W. Ash Street. Joyner was charged with three counts of attempted first degree murder and four counts of discharging a firearm into an occupied motor vehicle.
No one else was injured in the shooting. Juanisha Armstrong said her son would have to have a bullet removed from his stomach at ECU Health Medical Center in Greenville. Initially, first responders took Legend Armstrong to Wayne UNC Health Care, police said.
Lleirrum Drarehs, who lives near the shooting scene, ran out of his house after hearing sirens and started recording video on his phone.
“I heard shots and went down there [when] police came up,” Drarehs said.
Drarehs estimated he heard 15 gunshots. A blue Chevrolet Impala was seen near the scene with several holes in it.